This place was originally called Telok Ayer Market and has a long history of closures and openings.
To cut the story short, here’s a summary: Telok Ayer Market first opened in 1825, next to the jetties. About 10 years later, it was redesigned by an angmo architect — made it stronger and bigger and also orthogonal. The city state needed more land, so Singapore began to reclaim this side of the sea and had to demolish it. Another angmo architect brought it back to live again some 15 years later and he added the prominent iron cast structures shipped directly from Glasglow, England. In the 1970s, the market was converted into a hawker centre but was soon closed again for construction of MRT. The cast iron structures were kept and used for re-construction in the 1990s and since then the place is officially known as Lau Pa Sat.
How to get there: