I believe everyone who grew up in the KL would know the local stretch of beaches at Port Dickson. This place has a little spot in my heart and this is our to-go destination when we are up for a 2D1N retreat. There are several resorts or hotels along Jalan Pantai (translates to Beach Road) but I have my personal favourite. This time however, we went for something different — just to give Thistle at Port Dickson a try (and also slightly cheaper than the favourite).
Some features I like about this resort:
- Ample parking spaces, far from the main road but near the resort building. Somehow this gives a good sense of security.
- Large and clean pools. There are shallow areas near the slides — safe for children.
- Nicely mowed green pasture lined with coconut trees (perhaps great for weddings).
- Great view of the Straits of Malacca.
- Complementary bottled water available everywhere!
We forgot to bring our underwater P&S (Olympus uTough) as it was a spontaneous decision to come here — so we put my almost-a-year-old Xperia Z1 to a real test. It turned out OK underwater. The capacitive touch screen was good enough to sense my touch when fully submerged. It gave a little detection problem if the screen is half submerged (I guess the touch controller can’t deal with the un-leveled noise floor). The rest of the images were taken by the mobile phone.
I enjoyed our stay overall. But I think I should note that these were not something I appreciate:
- Narrow beach. I think it has to do with this part of Port Dickson. The sand was tough and hard (like clay).
- Lots of birds finding home at this resort building. Quite a undesirable sight of their droppings
- 9-hole golf course. I am not a golfer nor did I observe any golfers during my stay. The area could have been better used
- There was no bath tub in the room. Thought this is a pre-requisite for a 4-star property but Thistle is a 5-star resort?
How to get there: